Pages

Translate

November 26, 2013

"Not cause by a Worm!?!


Dermatophytosis 
(Ringworm)

Ah did you know that a Ringworm is not a worm after-all?
Dermatophytosis is actually a type of skin fungus that can be picked up
from the soil, other animals or even humans.

The fungus lives on the skin surface in dead skin cells, as the fungus grows it is often spread in a circular shape killing hair frolics in the center of the circle and creates a reddish crusted crown on the outside of the circle, in animals the Dermatophytosis looks slightly different than in humans. 

Many many many years ago (forgot how long ago according to my dog's vet) it was once thought that Ringworm's were actually a worm and nothing more than just that.

Some normal appearing animals may be carriers of the disease...gonna keep my fingers cross that my dog is not a carrier of the such!

It was yesterday I discover a small ringworm on my dog's inner thigh area it was almost the size of a American quarter, so then I checked the cats and were unable to find any signs on them however they could still come down with this skin disease as well as me and S.

And so off to the Vet at once yesterday in the late afternoon hours, so while Porky was being examine, I asked if the Vet could also check out that little black bump on his butt cheeks (hocks) for I wasn't sure if that was just a wart or not for he developed that this past summer being Porky just loves to sunbath..the Vet said it looks like wart however to keep a eye on it and if continued to grow then bring him back.

So off we all go with his fungi medication (Clotrimazole spray & Clindamycin antibiotic) and his nails are all trimmed up and wow was that dog so ever happy to leave that place. ha ha ha
Funny thing about his trip to the vet yesterday once we pulled into the parking lot he became really excited and happy all the way from the car to the office that is until he saw the Vet then it was like...

"NO NO NO I DON"T WANT TO GO IN THERE!  
My he did put up a struggle then until he ended up being wrapped up in a towel that is

I am thinking that perhaps if we were to washed all of our clothing, towels, sheets and blankets adding Vinegar to the laundry soap if this would kill the  Dermatophytosis?   Being Vinegar is known to kill foot fungus in humans and mildew in bathroom stalls...do anyone know if this would work?




No comments: